8.27.2009

the pantry.

It started completely innocently. It was 4 pm on Saturday. I've been working on relining the kitchen cabinets with cork for about a month, and the pantry was next. Our kitchen, as you've seen, lacks cabinet space. So our food lives in a built-in located in the hall next to the kitchen.

I've been ignoring the pantry since I moved in. Painted the hallway a lovely shade of blue. Skipped the pantry. Painted the kitchen a cheery shade of yellow. Skipped the pantry. Why? In all honestly, because it has doors that can be closed.

So the pantry remained a very weird shade of pink/brown/violet:

As I was tearing out the old 80's contact paper, something hit. I couldn't ignore the pantry any longer. So I went and found the fullest gallon of paint we had. Golden yellow. Perfect.

And look: it's acro pure, so my food wouldn't come in contact with stinky chemicals. Even more perfect.

The difference is amazing! Oh, and I'm really digging the retro linoleum I found under the bottom-shelf contact paper.

And, the after:

Now our food has a sunny new home. Maybe Chris and I will be the only people to ever see it, but it'll make us smile. It's the little things people.


In all, the project took just over an hour. In fact, Chris left for Home Depot before I pulled out the paint, and it was all cleaned up by the time he got home! He scored points for opening the pantry and noticing it'd been painted.



1 comment:

  1. Love it! It's always the small things that bring the biggest smiles.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)