12.22.2009

Christmas baking

Every year growing up I looked forward to my grandmother's Christmas cookies. My grandmother's baking was perfection. Before she died, my mom and I picked up the tradition and every year we dedicated a day, or two, to baking.

I teased you with a preview a couple days ago, so here are a few of the cookies we made this year.


Shortbread cookies filled with lemon curd. So good.


Caramel, pecan and chocolate. Need I say more?


Chocolate crackle cookies. Rich, chocolaty and simply divine.

And, my favorite. They are simple frosted sugar cookies, but I love them for a couple reasons. 1. They could NOT be easier to make. 2. They taste amazing.


Super adorable cut into Christmas shapes.


I am not a cookie decorator. Mostly because I'm lazy. I'm sure if I took some time, I could create all sorts of great designs. As it is though, Christmas is really busy and I always run out of time.

Would you like to make these for yourself? They'd be great for any holiday . . . you could make cute snowflakes or party hats or 1's and 0's for New Year's Eve!

*Twinkly Star Cutouts*
**The original recipe is from a Better Homes and Gardens holiday magazine, but I can't find it online**

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
3 cups flour
1/4 cup milk (for glaze)
4 cups powdered sugar (for glaze)

Directions:
- Preheat oven to 375.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter until really soft, about 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and mix until combined.
- Add egg and mix until combined.
- Add flour and stir or mix until flour is just combined.
- On a well floured surface, roll dough until 1/8" thick. Cut with cute cookie cutters, and put on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes. Cookies should be just slightly turning brown.
- Let cookies cool completely before frosting.

- For frosting, mix powdered sugar and milk to form glaze. Add additional milk, in tablespoons, until glaze reaches spreadable consistency. At this point, I split the glaze in half and add food coloring to both batches.
- Using a spoon or piping back, decorate each cookie.
- Let cookies sit until glaze hardens. Keep in airtight container. Once dry, they are stackable.



Do you guys bake at Christmas? What are some of your favorites? Are there other Christmas traditions you cherish?

3 comments:

  1. Oh you know it! Molasses sugar cookies, butterscotch haystacks, chocolate peppermint sandwich cookies, and pistachio linzertorte with jam. I also usually make sugar cookies but with the cookie exchange, my sister made them so I decided not to. I also usually make an apple pie for either Christmas Eve or Christmas day dinner. I wanted to try a couple new recipes this year but there wasn't time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jenn! This post is making me hungry! :) Thanks so much for visiting my blog and taking time to comment. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmm, Becky I want to come to your house for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)